Saturday, May 26, 2012

The lovely one

They called me at 10 this morning and said I should come. When I got here, nurses and staff were gathered around her.She gurgled when she breathed, and I thought I had gotten here in the nick of time. But she tends to rally, and she's done it again. It's now 5 in the afternoon and the lobby has been closed for an hour. Just now, the woman who runs the kitchen came in to tell me she was leaving, and asked if I needed anything to eat or drink. I said water would be nice. She offered cookies too and I accepted. "I will bring them to you," she said, "but first," and with this she moved toward May's bed, "I put my hands on the lovely one." She placed both hands across the top of May's head for an instant, and then hurried off. Everyone today has been aware that this goodbye, especially with the holiday schedule, is probably forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment