Saturday, March 20, 2010

Worse, now

It's Saturday morning and I was taking the opportunity to catch up on sleep. At about 7 o'clock I felt May's hand on my chest. She leaned close and said, "I'm confused." I gave up sleep and asked what she was confused about.
"You're my husband, right?"
"Is that what you're confused about?
"I don't know..."
"You know I'm the guy who takes care of you but you just want to be sure I'm your husband?
"I think so."
"Yes, I'm your husband."
(Long pause, during which I nearly go back to sleep)
"But you're my husband, right?
"Yes, that's right."
(Another long pause, in which I think I do drift into a light sleep)
"You're Bill, right?
"Are you really asking that?"
"I don't know...but...you're Bill, right?"
"Yes, I'm your husband, I'm the guy who takes care of you, and I'm Bill."
(Pause)
"Who's that woman that Bill has to take someone to see?"
"I'm Bill, and there is no woman that I have to take anyone to see."
"It's just so confusing with all these people coming and going."
"There's no one here but you, me and Adam. Ted's on a trip."
"Why does Ted live here?"
"Because he's Adam's dad and he takes care of Adam so I can take care of you."
"I want you to stay with me."
"You stay with me. I take care of you. This is our house."
"I love this house."

No comments:

Post a Comment